Saturday, September 11, 2010

socialbettyeldclub: Beyonce Says She's 'A Feminist, In A Way'

Singer also talks about retiring alter ego Sasha Fierce and start a family, in You magazine.By James DinhBeyoncPhoto: Michael Caulfield/ Getty ImagesWhether it's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" or the Destiny's Child classic "Independent Women," most of Beyonc's catalog consists of warm female-empowerment anthems. So it's no storm that the singer considers herself to be a feminist.In an audience with the U.K.

s You magazine, the pop star opens up around the grandness of female companionship, not needing to cover behind Sasha Fierce and her much-talked-about baby plans."I believe I am a feminist, in a way. It's not something I consciously decided I was leaving to be; perhaps it's because I grew up in a singing group with other women, and that was so helpful to me," she told the magazine. "It kept me out of so much difficulty and out of bad relationships. My friendships with my girls are only so often a piece of me that there are things I am never going to do that would upset that bond. I never need to sell that friendship, because I enjoy being a charwoman and I enjoy being a champion to other women."Most recently, Beyonc has certainly made her share of female friends in the industry. In the preceding year, the singer has collaborated with Lady Gaga ("Video Phone" and "Telephone") and Alicia Keys ("Put It in a Love Song").While the singer might always have female besties, there's one thing she's cut out of the picture: alter ego Sasha Fierce. Earlier this year, the pop star revealed that she "killed" Sasha, and now she said the alter-ego absence is due to her newfound self-awareness."I don't need Sasha so much anymore, because these days, I love who I am. It takes time to flesh out who you are, and I am still discovering different things about myself. As I am open to different experiences, I think, 'Oh, I wish this. I didn't know I liked this,' " she explained. "That's the journeying of animation that is so exciting. More and more, I love who I am, I love what I like, I love what I want, and that makes me smell so free."In fact, B already has her eye on some personal life goals. "My dream is to continue to read about the public and to finally experience a family," she said. And while Beyonc remained coy about when she and husband Jay-Z will extend the Carter family, she hinted that there's really "no dates, no times" to motherhood. "It will occur when I am ready."What is your favorite Beyonc female-empowerment anthem? Share your thoughts in the comments below!Related PhotosWhat Beyonce Might Be Like At HomeRelated ArtistsBeyonc

Monica Bellucci Monica Keena Monica Potter Monika Kramlik

No comments:

Post a Comment